Wednesday, July 20, 2011

So far so good

CBS as we all know is one the most well known broadcasting companies in the world. But what I really wanted to find out is what it was like in the corporate world as a photographer and what was it's really like to work for a major television network.

Thanks to the UArts Summer Fellowship Program, two weeks ago I started my internship at CBS in New York City, and so far the experience has been something I'll never forget. On Tuesday, July 5th I waited at New Jersey Transit for the 8:17am train and arrived at Penn Station. From there I then took the Subway all the way to 50th street and 7th Ave. From there I had a short walk to the CBS building which is alongside 6th Avenue. 6th Avenue is a very business oriented district so all around me I saw people in their very professional business attired heading into work, it felt so surreal that I was part of that group. Once arriving to my destination I saw the CBS building also known as the "Black Rock". All day I tried to keep my nerves intact because I had no idea what it was going to be like. Since this is my first internship, I hoped that I wouldn’t do or say anything too embarrassing. But once I met I met the lovely Nancy Eichenbaum, the Senior Photo Editor for CBS who also happens to be a Uarts alum, my nerves subsided. Nancy showed me around the Media Arts/Photo Department and introduced me to the other photo editors on the floor who all were very friendly and welcoming, as well as the three other interns, Casey, Ashlee and Alana.

My jobs include anything from looking through old negatives, headshots and contact sheets from shows such as The Young and the Restless, Star Trek and movies starring the late Elizabeth Taylor but also running errands where I get to see where CBS gets their images printed from. As interns we get to look through photographs from past and present television shows, edit photos and interact with such talented people who are not only good at what they do but love what they do. The work environment and the people at CBS are all very professional, laid back, and hard working, a place where I would someday love to work.

I am truly thankful to the Uarts staff, Nancy Eichenbaum and the Emerging Leaders Program for giving me this opportunity, and I can’t wait to see where what will happen in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment